Vineyard

Vineyard

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Best Sandwich I've Eaten in a While or to Rachael Ray or not?

So yeah, peeps have differing opinions of the Rach and they usually are polar opposites.  Either you like her style or you don't like her set or her recipes.

Well, I get it.  I don't always like her recipes, they don't always feel well thought out or remotely appealing.  But I saw this on TV today and I have to say, was salivating.

It's a grilled cheese sandwich with bacon, very sharp white cheddar and shaved apple, served wtih a spread of apple butter, honey and grainy Dijon mustard. 

I happen to have a boyfriend who has a brother who lives in Washington State, and every year this brother sends the BF a wheel of tinned cheddar (in a can). Cougar Gold. The BF doesn't always get to it so fast so it ends up aging in his fridge.

This is a major ingredient bonus in my sandwich. Kicks it up a notch, you know?

I used, blasphemously, peppered "uncured" turkey bacon from Trader Joe's. Uncured is the same thing as "except for whatever occurs naturally in celery powder" which I am guessing is an important point. Regardless, it is lower in fat than regular bacon but once you get that salty, chewy thing, you kind of say, well, why not?

So I shaved my apple and made a slurry of apple butter, a little less honey and a little less grainy Dijon.  Slathered the french bread with it, layered some of that great sharp cheddar, a layer of "bacon" and another layer of cheese and cooked very slowly (after spreading the outside with butter of course) so that the cheese would melt.

Delicious, the only change I would make would be to maybe add some arugula or watercress for some balance to the overall sweetness.  the mustard just wasn't enough. 

So give this a try, I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment